Falk Feddersen: Observational Seminar Spring 2018 (SIO 219)
PO Obs Seminar Spring 2018aSIO 219 Section 833060, 1 unit S/U
Professor Falk Feddersen
falk at coast.ucsd.edu
Office: 2nd floor CCS - blue door with sticker that says Quit Beefin, Eat Lobstah
Meetings Friday 12:00pm, Center for Coastal Studies Basement Conference Room (for most of April, TBD thereafter)
Description The broad theme of the observational seminar this quarter will coastal sub-mesoscale processes. That is, processes with length-scales of a few km or smaller from the shoreline to the shelf break. Here coastal means small islands as well as continental coasts. We can also include general sub-mesoscale processes or coastal processes by themselves. In particular, oceanic submesoscale processes will inform coastal ones. Of course, the coast has sloping bathymetry and a boundary which induces extra sources of spatial and temporal varibility. It is anticipated that these seminar will be germane to the NASCAR, FLEAT, and Innershelf DRI programs. Processes can include intrinsic shelf variability, internal waves, fronts, wakes, topographic driven flows, Langmuir circulation, surface gravity wave driven processes. Each week the first half of class will consist of student-led presentations of a key papers in the field, followed by a hopefully broad and energetic discussion by all present. Though students are encouraged to formally register for the class, collegial participation by interested post-docs and PIs is highly welcome.
Course Requirements Students should register as S/U. Students will be expected to present at least one paper during the quarter and participate in the discussion each week. To encourage thoughtfull discussion, registered students will be asked to submit a hand-written question or comment on the paper prior to the commencement of the discussion.
Presenters and Papers will be posted here
- April 6: organizing
- April 13: Xiaodong Wu: Suzuki et al., Surface waves affect frontogenesis, JGR doi:10.1002/2015JC011563, 2016. link
- April 20: Mike Kovatch: Canals et al., 2007, Tilted Baroclinic Tidal Vorticies, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/2008JPO3954.1
- April 27: Celia Ou: Warner, S. and P. MacCready, 2014, The dynamics of pressure and form drag on a sloping headland: Internal waves versus eddies, JGR, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013JC009757/abstract
- May 4: Derek Grimes: Ryan J. Moniz, Derek A. Fong, C. Brock Woodson, Susan K. Willis, Mark T. Stacey, and Stephen G. Monismith, 2014: Scale-Dependent Dispersion within the Stratified Interior on the Shelf of Northern Monterey Bay. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44, 10doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-12-0229.1 link
- May 11: Luke Kachelein: Karl R. Helfrich, Roger H. J. Grimshaw. (2008) Nonlinear Disintegration of the Internal Tide. Journal of Physical Oceanography 38:3, 686-701. https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2007JPO3826.1
- May 18: off week
- May 25: Isa Arezeno: Walker et al., Large-Eddy Simulation of a Coastal Ocean under the Combined Effects of Surface Heat Fluxes and Full-Depth Langmuir Circulation, JPO, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0168.1
- June 1: Olavo Marques: Brink, K.H., 2016, Continental Shelf Baroclinic Instability. Part I: Relaxation from Upwelling or Downwelling, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0047.1
- June 8: Andre Paloczy: Gula et al, 2016, Topographic generation of submesoscale centrifugal instability and energy dissipation, Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms12811.
Modern Submesoscale with Waves and LatMix influence
- McWilliams and Fox-Kemper, Oceanic wave-balanced surface fronts and filaments, JFM, 2013 https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2013.348.
- Haney, Symmetric and Geostrophic Instabilities in the Wave-Forced Ocean Mixed Layer, JPO, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0044.1.
- Klymak et al., Submesoscale streamers exchange water on the north wall of the Gulf Stream, GRL, 2016, doi: 10.1002/2015GL067152, 2016. link
- Suzuki et al., Surface waves affect frontogenesis, JGR doi:10.1002/2015JC011563, 2016. link
- Shcherbina et al., 2013, Statistics of vertical vorticity, divergence, and strain in a developed submesoscale turbulence field, GRL, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50919/abstract
- (REVIEW PAPER FOR BACKGROUND) McWilliams, 2016, Submesoscale currents in the ocean, Proc Royal Society A, DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2016.0117
- (CLASSIC) Signell and Geyer, 1991, Transient eddy formation around headlands, JGR, DOI: 10.1029/90JC02029
- Gan and Allen, 2002, A modeling study of shelf circulation off northern California in the region of the Coastal Ocean Dynamics Experiment: Response to relaxation of upwelling winds, JGR, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2000JC000768/abstract
- Farmer et al., 2002, Tilting separation flows: A mechanism for intensive vertical mixing in the coastal ocean, Dynamics Atmos and Oceans, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-0265(02)00024-6
- Pawlak and MacCready JGR 2002: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2000JC000596/abstract
- Pawlak et al. GRL 2003: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2003GL018092/abstract.
- McCabe et al, 2004, Form Drag due to Flow Separation at a Headland, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO2966.1
- Canals et al., 2007, Tilted Baroclinic Tidal Vorticies, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/2008JPO3954.1
- Magaldi et al, 2008, Turbulent flow regimes behind a coastal cape in a stratified and rotating environment, Ocean Modelling https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2008.06.006
- Dong and McWilliams, 2007, A numerical study of island wakes in the Southern California Bight, Continental Shelf Reserach, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2007.01.016
- Dong et al, 2007, Island Wakes in Deep Water, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO3047.1
- Warner et al., 2013, Measurement of Tidal Form Drag Using Seafloor Pressure Sensors, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-12-0163.1
- Warner & MacCready 2014 JGR : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013JC009757/abstract
- Molemaker et al., 2015, Submesoscale Instability and Generation of Mesoscale Anticyclones near a Separation of the California Undercurrent, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-13-0225.1.
- Gula et al, 2016, Topographic generation of submesoscale centrifugal instability and energy dissipation, Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms12811.
- Austin and Lentz, 2002, The Inner shelf response to wind-driven upwelling and downwelling, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(2002)032<2171:TISRTW>2.0.CO;2.
- Horowitz and Lentz, 2014, Inner-Shelf Response to Cross-Shelf Wind Stress: The Importance of the Cross-Shelf Density Gradient in an Idealized Numerical Model and Field Observations, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-13-075.1
- Brink, K.H., 2016, Continental Shelf Baroclinic Instability. Part I: Relaxation from Upwelling or Downwelling, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0047.1
- Walker et al., Large-Eddy Simulation of a Coastal Ocean under the Combined Effects of Surface Heat Fluxes and Full-Depth Langmuir Circulation, JPO, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0168.1
- Colosi et al., Statistics of Internal Tide Bores and Internal Solitary Waves Observed on the Inner Continental Shelf off Point Sal, California, JPO, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-17-0045.1
- Moulin et al., 2018, Evolutoin of a Turbulence in a Diurnal Warm Layer, JPO, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-17-0170.1
- Shroyer et al., 2014, Stratification and mixing regimes in biological thin layers over the Mid-Atlantic Bight, JGR, DOI: 10.4319/lo.2014.59.4.1349
- Sutherland et al., 2013, Gravity currents shoaling on a slope, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4818440
- J. N. Moum, J. D. Nash. (2008) Seafloor Pressure Measurements of Nonlinear Internal Waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography 38:2, 481-491.
- Karl R. Helfrich, Roger H. J. Grimshaw. (2008) Nonlinear Disintegration of the Internal Tide. Journal of Physical Oceanography 38:3, 686-701. https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2007JPO3826.1
- J. N. Moum, D. M. Farmer, E. L. Shroyer, W. D. Smyth, and L. Armi. (2007) Dissipative Losses in Nonlinear Internal Waves Propagating across the Continental Shelf. Journal of Physical Oceanography, https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JPO3091.1
- Romero et al., Characterizing storm water dispersion and dilution from small coastal streams, JGR, doi:10.1002/2015JC011323, 2016. link.
- Ryan J. Moniz, Derek A. Fong, C. Brock Woodson, Susan K. Willis, Mark T. Stacey, and Stephen G. Monismith, 2014: Scale-Dependent Dispersion within the Stratified Interior on the Shelf of Northern Monterey Bay. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 44, 10doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-12-0229.1 link
- Romero, Simulations of Nearshore Particle-Pair Dispersion in Southern California, JPO, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-13-011.1
- Dauhajre et al. (2017), JPO Submesoscale coherent structures on the continental shelf https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/suppl/10.1175/JPO-D-16-0270.1
- Cimoli et al. (2017), Ocean Science Meanders and eddy formation by a buoyant coastal current flowing over a sloping topography https://www.ocean-sci.net/13/905/2017/os-13-905-2017.html
- Hetland (2017), JPO Suppression of baroclinic instabilities in buoyancy-driven flow over sloping bathymetry https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0240.1
- Brink & Seo (2016), JPO Continental shelf baroclinic instability Part II: Oscillating wind forcing https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0048.1
- Brink (2017), JPO Surface cooling, winds and eddies over the continental shelf https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JPO-D-16-0196.1
- Kirincich (2016), JGR The occurence, drivers, and implications of submesoscale eddies on the Martha's Vineyard inner shelf https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JPO-D-15-0191.1
- Kirincich & Lentz (2017), JGR The importance of lateral variability on exchange across the inner shelf south of Martha's Vineyard, MA https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/2016JC012491
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at email@example.com.
- Spring 2015 Observational Seminar on Dispersion Link
- Spring 2014 Observational Seminar on Coastal Processes Link