Falk Feddersen: Observational Seminar Spring 2014 (SIO 219)
Observational Seminar Spring 2014SIO 219 Section 801969, 1 unit S/U
Professor Falk Feddersen
falk at coast.ucsd.edu
Office: 2nd floor CCS - blue door with sticker that says Quit Beefin, Eat Lobstah
Meetings Friday 12:00pm, Center for Coastal Studies Basement Conference Room
Description The broad theme of the observational seminar this quarter will be Coastal Processes of all types from Continental Shelves, to Coral Reefs, and Beaches. Each week the first half of class will consist of student-led presentations of a key papers in the field, followed by a hopefully broad and energetic discussion by all present. Though students are encouraged to formally register for the class, collegial participation by interested post-docs and PIs is highly welcome.
Course Requirements Students should register as S/U. Students will be expected to present at least one paper during the quarter and participate in the discussion each week. To encourage thoughtfull discussion, registered students will be asked to submit a hand-written question or comment on the paper prior to the commencement of the discussion.
Presenters and Papers will be posted here
- April 4: Greg Sinnett : Fewings and Lentz (2011), Summertime cooling of the shallow continental shelf, JGR, abstract link, pdf.
- April 11: Kai Hally-Rosendahl: Lentz et al. (2008), Observations and a Model of Undertow over the Inner Continental Shelf, JPO link, pdf .
- April 18: Julia Fiedler: Garcez-Faria et al. (2000), Undertow over a barred beach, JGR link, pdf.
- April 25: Jessica Millar: Moffat C. and Lentz, S. (2012), On the Response of a Buoyant Plume to Downwelling-Favorable Wind Stress, JPO link, pdf
- May 2: Bonnie Ludka: Gallagher et al., (1998) Observation of sand bar evolution on a sandy beach, JGR, pdfk and Hoefel & Elgar, (2003), Wave-induced sediment transport and sandbar migration, Science, pdf.
- May 9: Ata Suanda, Walter et al., (2012), Nearshore internal bores and turbulent mixing in southern Monterey Bay, JGR, link.
- May 16: Marion Alberty, Shroyer, Moum and Nash (2011) Nonlinear internal waves over New Jersey's continental shelf JGR, link.
- May 23: Nirnimesh Kumar: Trowbridge and Elgar (2001), Turbulence Measurements in the Surf Zone, JPO, link, pdf
- May 30: Sean Crosby: Rogers, E. W., Kaihatu, J. M., Hsu, L., Jensen, R. E., Dykes, J. D., & Holland, K. T. (2007). Forecasting and hindcasting waves with the SWAN model in the Southern California Bight. Coastal Engineering, 54(1), 1–15. doi:10.1016/j.coastaleng.2006.06.011, link,pdf.
- June 6th: ...
- Hench et al., (2008), Episodic circulation and exchange in a wave-driven coral reef and lagoon system, Limnology and Oceanography 53(6). 2008 link
- Shroyer, Moum and Nash (2011) Nonlinear internal waves over New Jersey's continental shelf JGR, link
- Stockdon and Holman, (2006) Empirical parameterization of setup, swash, and runup, Coastal Engineering. link
- D'Asaro et al, (2014), Quantifying upper ocean turbulence driven by surface waves, Geophysical Research Letters, link
- Lentz et al. (2008), Observations and a Model of Undertow over the Inner Continental Shelf, JPO link
- Fewings and Lentz (2011), Summertime cooling of the shallow continental shelf, JGR, link.
- Walter et al., (2012), Nearshore internal bores and turbulent mixing in southern Monterey Bay, JGR, link
- Smith J.A. and Largier J.L., (1995) Observations of nearshore circulation: Rip currents, JGR link
- Nam S. and Send U., (2011), Direct evidence of deep water intrusions onto the continental shelf via surging internal tides, JGR. link
- Moffat C. and Lentz, S. (2012), On the Response of a Buoyant Plume to Downwelling-Favorable Wind Stress, JPO link
- Lippmann, T.C. and R.A. Holman (1990), The spatial and temporal variability of sand bar morphology, JGR link.
- Nash J.D. and J.N. Moum, (2005) River plumes as a source of large-amplitude internal waves in the coastal ocean, Nature link
- Lentz, S.J., (2001), The Influence of Stratification on the Wind-Driven Cross-Shelf Circulation over the North Carolina Shelf, JPO link
- Todd, Rudnick, & Davis (2009) Monitoring the greater San Pedro Bay region using autonomous underwater gliders during fall of 2006, JGR link
- Romero et al., (2013), Simulations of Nearshore Particle-Pair Dispersion in Southern California, JPO link
- Garcez-Faria et al. (2000), Undertow over a barred beach, JGR link
- Weir et al., (2011) A vortex force analysis of the interaction of rip currents and surface gravity waves, JGR link.
- Paper, Plant, Ruessink (2010), On cross-shore migration and equilibrium states of nearshore sandbars, JGR Earth Surface link
- Slott, Murray, and Ashton, (2010), Large-scale responses of complex-shaped coastlines to local shoreline stabilization and climate change, JGR Earth Surface link
- Castelle and Ruessink (2011), Modeling formation and subsequent nonlinear evolution of rip channels: Time-varying versus time-invariant wave forcing, JGR Earth Surface, link.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at email@example.com.