Falk Feddersen: Outreach and Media
- Stand-Up Paddleboarder Magazine article "72-HOURS: POST-RAIN POLLUTION IN THE SURF ZONE"
- Nature News Story: Surf zones warmed from within
- Deutschland Funk - Die Warme der Wellen (German NPR: The warming of the waves)
- Orange County Register: Current that killed Newport Beach lifeguard 'looked like a hurricane': July 9th 2014
- US News and World Report: The Science Behind Massive Waves: Jan 29th, 2013
- Coast News Story on Surfzone Mixing : Jan 28, 2013
IB09 Experiment Media Coverage
- Union Tribune Section B cover story
- KPBS short inteview
- Channel 10 news story
- Channel 8 news story
- SIO Explorations Story
SIO08 Experiment Coverage
HB06 Experiment Coverage
- Oct 8th, 2014: Hosted citizen group: Spirit of the Senses and lectured on the coastal impacts of sea level rise: link
- Sept, 2014: Hosted the Harboar Branch Oceanographic Institution Board and discussed topics related to Sea Level Rise Adaptation
- Fall 2013: Gave SIO Institional Seminar
- Sept 2013: Gave SIO Birch Aquarium Talk
- August 22, 2013: Presented on modeling surfzone water quality at the US International Boundary and Water Commission (IBWC) Citizen's Forum, TJNERR Visitor Center Imperial Beach CA
- July 17th 2013: Gave outreach talk at San Diego Surfrider Meeting
- Jun 18th 2013: Gave invited seminar at the Applied Physics Department of Polytechnic University of Catalonia (Spain)
- Present the Walter Munk lecture at the 2013 Groundswell Society Surfing Art, Science, Issues Conference on Feb 16th 2013. See the SIO Exporations Article.
- Feb 12th 2013: Participated and provided commentary at the World Resources SIMCenter Movie Night on San Diego's Coastal Environment
- The Modeling Agency photo exhibit
- For the past 5 years, co-hosted with the Ocean Institute the SurfScience Teen Conferences here at SIO for 40-60 high school students.
Post-conference student evaluations show that the 2010 conference was extremely well received. The 2011 Surf Science Teen Conference was on Saturday Nov 5th 2011, and
the 2012 SSTC conference was on Saturday October 13th 2012.
- Open to any 8th through 12th grade teen with an interest in exploring surf and ocean science, and finding out about related college and career paths.
- Meet Scripps Institution of Oceanography surfzone researchers. Use their oceanographic equipment while assisting with surf zone experiments! Learn more about ocean careers from Scripps' graduate students.
- $15 per participant, includes lunch and transportation to Scripps
- Register soon at the Ocean Institute web site online or call (9494) 496-2274
- Presentation at the 2010 Groudswell Society's Surfing Art, Science, Issues Conference on Modeling Wave Quality at Lower Trestles. Click here for video excerpts and a pdf of the lecture notes.